So, a few days away from my latest WIP and the good news is I was quite excited by it when I gave it a quick reading before diving back into it. That's good, right?
Except…there's this other idea. Another new idea. It came to me after reading a few lines of an article. There I was, happily diving into a little light reading and bam! Two sentences in and there was a flash in my head of a story idea.
I'm not complaining. I love it when that happens. But didn't I already mention that I have a WIP pile that rivals my collection of argyle socks? (Author's Note: I have many,many pairs of argyle socks)
Needless to say, I'm kind of torn. My pile of WIPs is eyeing me suspiciously now. But what have those WIPs done for me lately? If the words (and ideas) were flowing, I would have completed them already. All I'm doing is running where my Muse takes me. I can't help it if this Shiny New Idea seems to hold more promise at the moment.
I'm a magpie. I like sparkly things. And this new idea – she's all blazing and brilliant right now.
My Current WIPS
- a tweet-inspired tale that creeps me out a bit. I hope it does the same for my readers when it is complete!
- that crazy, dream-inspired WIP has stalled at the moment. Not enough of a creep factor yet. Maybe the plot needs tweaking…
- another idea for a serial is percolating behind-the-scenes. I've managed to stave it off for now. We'll see how long that lasts. But the outcome could be quite "dreadful"…
- novel-series idea that I might try to explore in short story form first
That is barely the tip of the WIP-iceburg, but I'd rather have too many ideas than none.
Fellow WIP Wednesday posse:
- Aaron Polson – WIP Wednesday: Here There Be Children
- Barry Napier – questions, a story, and some WIP Wednesday
- Cate Gardner – WIP Wednesday: Turning The Other Butt Cheek
- Jamie Eyberg – Rotating Characters
If you’re a writer participating in WIP Wednesday, post a link to your blog in the comments! More info on the WIP Wednesday initiative can be found at Kate Karyus Quinn's blog.
Fellow members of The Creative Alliance:
- Patrick Pillars – Junk Drawer, June Edition
- Jenny Beans – True Blood Marathon
- Veronica Giguere – I've Finished! Now What?
- Nicole Ireland – Examining Lee DeWyze
- James Melzer: Wednesday Wildcard
Above kaleidoscope photo: Alessandro Paiva